Terraria State of the Game - November 2021
Posted on November 29th, 2021 12:52 PM EST
The weather is getting colder, the leaves are falling, but things could not be more red hot in terms of news around Terraria development, merchandise, and more! We have so much going on right now, even squeezing in this State of the Game is a challenge. Never fear, however, for we are here to share the latest and greatest across the world of Terraria. Let's get to it!
In case you missed the big launch last week, we just released the second major crossover update in the history of Terraria - this time with the long-running hit indie survival game, Don't Starve Together! Lots of fun new DST-related content for players to explore here - including the terrifying DeerClops boss, a handful of new items, and a brand new world seed that brings Don't Starve Together gameplay elements into the world of Terraria. Check it out, and let us know what you think!
For full details, click the banner above to head to the launch post and changelog!
TERRARIA - LABOR OF LOVE & AUTUMN SALE
It is that time of year again, loyal Terrarians! We come to you to humbly ask for your support towards nominating Terraria for the Labor of Love Steam Award. The game we all love so much has had the distinction of being nominated several times... but never quite pulling down that elusive win. Let's make 2021 - the 10th anniversary of the game, 10 years of updates, 10 years of amazing fun with family and friends - be the year that the Terraria Community brings home the prize! To support Terraria for this award, please click the image above to submit your nominations!
Oh, and Terraria is half-off during the Autumn Sale! Click the image below to head to the Store Page and pick up a copy today!
Click the banner above to check out the Terraria Workshop!
The level of quality and quantity on the Terraria Steam Workshop just continues to climb - nearly 36,000 packs and worlds so far, which is just insane! If you have not checked out the Workshop yet, what are you waiting for?
We are going to gratefully take the extra time allowed by the recent Steam Deck launch delays to take our Deck optimizations a bit further. More on that later, once we get a bit further clear from the 1.4.3 launch/fixes!
Beyond that, we will have to just continue to ask for your patience and trust in our process as we continue our own journey towards whatever lies ahead.
We continue onward, working tirelessly towards the goal of tModLoader for Terraria 1.4. Recent noteworthy progress includes a move to the fresh .NET 6 with C# 10, and a repair of the current modded sound playback design (Thanks, ExterminatorX99!).
Our main development focus is currently on the following:
- A final redesign of audio systems (1.4_soundfix)
- Data-oriented rework of tiles (1.4_data_oriented_tiles)
- Topological sorting-based redesign of interface layers and world generation passes
- Post-merge improvements for the asset system redesign
- Side-experiments with bettering the overall API designs
Of course, the TML 1.4 Alpha remains available for you to check out. Again, please keep in mind that this Alpha is primarily intended for developers as an audience - so play around with it at your own risk!
As always, you can keep track the current progress and such more in real time at tModLoader/tModLoader (But note that the completion percentage doesn't mean anything, because issues and PRs don't have weights.)
Developers who are willing to contribute may do so by doing PRs to the tModLoader/tModLoader branch. (See tModLoader/tModLoader)
Greetings, Terrarians! The team has mostly been focused on Switch Development... but we also took some time out to hammer away at some Console fixes! These will be in your hands soon - here is the list!
- Optimize world generation speed
- Mouse & keyboard refinements to better match PC
- Fixed: Pickup range needs to be the same for both increased and normal placement range
- Fixed: Dying during craft/dupe search locks player in typing prompt which prevents movement & inventory access via "Esc"
- Fix numerous logged Xbox crashes
- Fixed: Item is deleted in MP world by Client if held in hand from a chest, when closing down the chest
- Fixed: After selecting a coin/ammo slot while in-world, returning to the regular inventory changes the selected item to a righthand inventory slot.
- Optimize Xbox start up time
- Add a controller binding to open an item in research from inventory
- Fixed: Settings become inescapable if user has option popup open when splitscreen orientation is changed
- Fix click through on info accessories through to the slot below
- Added PS4 multiline editing on Signs/tombstones
- Fixed: Cursor goes missing on accepting host invite being in 'Page Groups' screen of Interface tab
- "Only Journey characters may enter a Journey world" message is carried over to an invite when an invite is accepted from this screen
- Fixed: When assigning villager to an empty house, the message 'The housing is already occupied' shows.
- Fix clients having a delay in picking up items from host.
- Fixed: Starting position on scrolling lists is cutting off the top outer glow of the grid selection
- Fixed: If you have a Dynamic Hotbar slot bound to a Hotbar item, It doesn't reset the location of the selected item to that item when RBing away
- Fix splitscreen 2nd player immune to projectiles
- Fixed: In the Tutorial, the Item art in the Dialogue boxes looks duplicated/scaled and offset from the chatbox
- Fixed: In the tutorial the close control menu banner prompt is missing on every dialog
- Fixed: A single hairstyle displays outside the hair stylist popup
- Fixed: Tutorial, Talking to the Guide durring the 'kill zombies' but before the 'open the bestiary' step continues to advance time when it shouldn't
- Fixed: Unable to navigate through options on main menu after disconnecting the network when Guide crafting or Research from inventory is invoked in MP session
- Fixed: Rare crash in oldgen data (something to do with trees)
- Fixed: Cannot equip when a chest is open, either from inventory or from a chest
- Fixed: The tooltip for Auto Select which displays [ca:3] in loading tips isn't replacing its button icon as expected
- Fixed: Mouse interaction disabled by hovering text
- Fixed: Frame rate drops to 40FPS when housing is at full capacity
- Fixed: Loot appearing at locked on enemy location
The team is feeling pretty good about this fix list, but we know a handful of bugs and issues are still wandering out there in the wild. We have most of these documented (again, the best way to make sure your issue is seen is to file a Bug Report in the TCF Bug Section by pressing the button below!)
We have what we hope will be an early holiday gift to our Switch fans: Terraria: Journey's End is in the final stages of development and submission, and…
This build is a match to the fixes and content that PlayStation and Xbox had as of the start of November. Any relevant additional fixes listed for Consoles above - as well as any other Switch-specific fixes - will be submitted to Nintendo for release as quickly as possible.
So – we know the big question will be “why can it not come out before the end of the year if you are so close right now?” The reality there is that companies – including Nintendo – are nearing the end of year/holidays. As we all know, that means a lot of folks out on vacation and/or full company shutdowns. If we were to release - say in December - this would create a scenario where if there are any bugs or issues at all, they would essentially be impossible to fix (even if DR had a fix made instantly) until probably sometime in mid-January. It is just an unfortunate dynamic of this time of year. This gets the update out just as soon as possible in the new year, avoiding that risk.
While we are confident in this build, every launch has some bugs, and we just don’t want to put everyone in a situation where there are issues that everyone is powerless to address. Now, that said, the team will continue to test and fix in the meantime and go ahead and get whatever else they can find already in the queue. Hopefully, that makes sense to everyone, but we are happy to answer any questions that you might have.
Mobile Terrarians, we are growing ever-closer to a return to development - this time, alongside our Console friends! The team is eagerly anticipating jumping headlong into bringing content parity to all platforms in the new year, we just need to get any needed Switch fixes out before we dive in. Not much longer now!
We have also been made aware of some issues impacting some players in regards to Android 11. The team will be looking into this shortly, and we will get any needed fixes out just as soon as possible!
Thanks as always for the honor and trust you give us each month to work on Terraria - it is not a responsibility that we take lightly, and we look forward to bringing more amazing things to you all as we move forward.
Here's the latest and greatest happenings on the Community side of things. Thanks as always for being the most engaged and awesome gaming Community ever!
The merchandise hub is here for all of your holiday shopping needs - and it is packed with more goodies than ever before! Check out the latest merch drops as well as some classics and pick up that epic Terraria gift for a friend (or yourself!)
Click the banner above to head to http://terraria.org/store now!
We had been teasing a few merch drops in time for the Holidays - and those began last week! In case you missed it, we launched two new merchandise lines: the latest product lines from Vidglo and brand new (and amazing) shadowboxes/desktop art from Artovision!
Click the banner image above to check out the Terraria x Jaiden Animations collection!
If you haven't checked out the Terraria Series by ChippyGaming, Jaiden Animations, and AntiDarkHeart, you are really missing out! We have certainly enjoyed watching the ups and downs and all of the antics as this trio tackles all that Terraria has to offer in the Journey's End era. For anyone not familiar with Jaiden Animations beyond the Terraria series, she is a talented and amazing artist and content creator with a very unique style all her own. Definitely worth checking out her YouTube channel, linked below:
JAIDEN ANIMATIONS YOUTUBE CHANNEL
She has had so much fun playing Terraria that we all got to talking about how cool it might be to do another "influencer-inspired" collection of Terraria merchandise, featuring Jaiden Animations... and so, here we are! Blending elements unique to Jaiden's style with everyone's favorite creepy robed figure - the Lunatic Cultist - this limited collection features an amazing hoodie, shirt, stickers, and a collectors pin (that you can get for free by picking up anything else!).
Alongside the Jaiden x Terraria campaign, we are revealing a whole bunch of new merchandise with this release - just in time for the Holidays! Click the banner above to head on over to https://terraria.shop/ to check out everything on offer there! New clothing designs and brand new sticker sheets are here, along with some brand new categories such as...
All of this - and much, much more! - is available now at https://terraria.shop/!
These are the first releases from our latest awesome partner, the good folks at Artovision. If you are not familiar with them, they make simply amazing Shadowboxes and Desktop Art pieces based on video games and popular culture. These are really unique items - creating a really cool three-dimensional effect via the use of layers. Pictures really do not do these justice - wait until you see them in person! This initial release focuses on the Lunar keyart introduced during the Terraria 1.3 era. Check it out - and pick one up today - just click the image to head on over to Artovision to complete your purchase or to learn more! Additional releases are planned for this product line - so this is something you will want to keep your eyes peeled for!
Each piece is printed on 1/8” thick optical-grade acrylic with vibrant UV cured inks and set in a high quality finished MDF wood frame, our shadowbox art pieces are handcrafted in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
We were really blown away by the quality of the entries this year - especially the epic pumpkin carving. You all are just amazingly creative and talented! Check out the winners below!
🥇 1st Place: @Student (25,000 Prize Points or 250,000 Special Prize Points)
🥈 2nd Place: @apgold (15,000 Prize Points or 150,000 Special Prize Points)
🥉 3rd Place: @Immortal_Fire (10,000 Prize Points or 100,000 Special Prize Points)
🏅 4th Place: @ThatOneGirl (5,000 Prize Points or 50,000 Special Prize Points)
🏅 5th Place: @KuroiTsuki (5,000 Prize Points or 50,000 Special Prize Points)
We were equally impressed with the creativity shown for the in-game Halloween Costume Contest! Winners below!
🥇 1st Place: @ilysatan (15,000 Prize Points or 150,000 Special Prize Points)
🥈 2nd Place: @Dmitri (10,000 Prize Points or 100,000 Special Prize Points)
🥉 3rd Place: @Ohenry1234 (5,000 Prize Points or 50,000 Special Prize Points)
🏅 4th Place: @Squid_CEO (3,000 Prize Points or 30,000 Special Prize Points)
🏅 5th Place: @Drippler Crippler (2,000 Prize Points or 20,000 Special Prize Points)
In celebration for the new Don't Starve Together x Terraria update we are hosting a Don't Starve Together themed event!
Submissions will be open until December 12, 8:59PM PST.
Create a Terraria build or fan art incorporating Don't Starve Together themes. Share an image/gif of your event entry.
• It must be your own original work.
• No NSFW submissions.
The community will vote on the winners and the top 10 voted winners will each win prizes that they will get to pick from a prize pool.
All details on how to participate in the event can be found in the Terraria Discord server at Join the Terraria Discord Server!
Until next time, Terrarians - we hope you have an amazing month, and we look forward to bringing you the latest and greatest next time!